Pumpkin soup is an easy fall dish that anyone can prepare.
Adapted from Foodista.com
Yield: 4 servings
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 2 granny smith apples, cored, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup chopped butternut squash
- 2 cups pure pumpkin puree
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Roasted peptias and chopped cilantro, for garnish
- In a large stock pot, heat coconut oil over medium high heat. Add the onion, garlic and ginger. Cook until fragrant and onions begin to appear translucent, stirring occasionally. Add the apples and butternut squash and continue to cook until softened.
- Add the pumpkin puree and chicken stock and stir to combine. Bring mixture to a boil and then reduce to a simmer. Allow to cook for 15 to 20 minutes. Season with cinnamon and nutmeg. Add salt and pepper, to taste.
- Using an immersion blender, puree soup until smooth. Top with pumpkin seeds and cilantro. Serve hot.