Whether you have wrapped up your travels for the summer or they are just about to begin, you have probably experienced great successes and challenges in sticking to your balanced, feel good nutrition and fitness plan.
While the 80/20 rule can still apply while traveling and enjoying new cultures and cuisine, a few minutes spent prepping in advance can help your travels go even smoother while still feeling great!
Enjoy the rest of summer, and remember to stay hydrated, plan in advance, and have fun!
Travel Checklist and Reminders:
1) Research First!
- What are the staple foods in the country, state or city you are traveling to? Have you eaten these before?
- How are the foods prepared?
- What is available to you in your hotel or home away?
- Will there be a supermarket near by that you can stock up your kitchen or room for your tried and true foods?
2) Flying Tips: Keep Food and Fluid Accessible!
- Bring your water bottle and fill at the airport (or buy when you get there).
- Aim for 8 ounces of fluid (water, unsweetened teas) for every hour of flight time (flying is dehydrating and constipating).
- Pack/Buy: sandwiches on whole wheat bread, oatmeal packets, trail mix, fresh fruit, and nutrition bars to fuel well on the plane.
- Be mindful that you don’t eat out of boredom, but be sure to have your “Plan B: Travel Snack Pack” available in case you do get hungry.
3) Travel Snack Pack – Your Tried and True Safe Foods to Travel with:
- Bars (Clif, Lara, Macro, Bobo Oat Bars, Picky, That’s It)
- Dried Fruit and Nut Mix
- Beef or Turkey Jerky
- Tuna Packets
- Jars or Individual Packets of Peanut butter / Almond Butter
- Whole Wheat Tortillas / Breads / Rice Cakes / Pretzels
- Protein Packets and Shaker Cup
4) Simple Tips to Remember:
- Don’t skip meals / snacks!
- Keep in mind your portion needs at buffet style meals.
- Always start your meals with fresh or cooked vegetables, even apps!
- Adjust to time zone as soon as possible.
- Always have bars / shakes / snacks and water with you.
- Stay hydrated!